Hey Becket,

Yeah that makes sense.

I agree that you'd really have to both fix the estimation (i.e. make it per
topic or make it better estimate the high percentiles) AND have the
recovery mechanism. If you are underestimating often and then paying a high
recovery price that won't fly.

I think you take my main point though, which is just that I hate to exposes
these super low level options to users because it is so hard to explain to
people what it means and how they should set it. So if it is possible to
make either some combination of better estimation and splitting or better
tolerance of overage that would be preferrable.

-Jay