I've defined several Kafka Connect tasks via the tasks.max property to process
a set of topics.
Initially I set the partitions on the topics to 1 and partitioned the topics
across the tasks programmatically so that each task processed a subset of the
topics (or so I thought ...).
I then noticed that only 1 of the tasks ever read any Kafka messages and
concluded that the topics property defined in connector.properties cannot be
split across the tasks in this way.

It then dawned on me that perhaps I ought to be partitioning the topic at
creation time so that each task would be assigned a set of partitions across
the entire set of topics.

However, that seems not to work either - again only 1 task does any work - and
this task reads from the same partition for every topic (I have defined 50
partitions and 4 tasks so would expect (naively perhaps) each task to get a
dozen or so partitions for each topic).

Could some kind soul point out the error of my ways please and tell me how to
achieve this properly.

Thanks in advance,
David