Apologies, I missed the discussion (or lack thereof) about the return type of:

WindowStoreIterator<KeyValue<K, V>> fetch(K from, K to, long timeFrom, long timeTo)

WindowStoreIterator<V> (as the KIP mentions) is a subclass of KeyValueIterator<Long, V>

KeyValueIterator<K,V> has the following method:

/** * Peek at the next key without advancing the iterator * @return the key of the next value that would be returned from the next call to next */ K peekNextKey();

Given the type in this case will be Long, I assume what it would return is the window timestamp of the next found record?

In the case of WindowStoreIterator<V> fetch(K key, long timeFrom, long timeTo); all records found by fetch have the same key, so it's harmless to return the timestamp of the next found window but here we have varying keys and varying windows, so won't it be too confusing?

KeyValueIterator<Windowed<K>, V> (as in the proposed ReadOnlySessionStore.fetch) just feels much more intuitive.

Apologies again for jumping onto this only once the voting has already begun.
Thanks,
Michał