I think "sink" it the correct term here. It means that we write to a topic.

Processors, that don't have downstream nodes are called "terminal
operation" (at least in the DSL). Thus, a sink is also a "terminal
operation" but not the other way round.

So the docs are not optimal, as they put the "terminal" part into the
focus while the "writing to a topic" part is the main thing here.

-Matthias