From:   James Cheng <wushuja...@gmail.com>
To:     us...@kafka.apache.org
Cc:     dev <dev@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   07/06/2017 12:37 PM
Subject:        Re: Mirroring multiple clusters into one

I'm not sure what the "official" recommendation is. At TiVo, we *do* run
all our mirrormakers near the target cluster. It works fine for us, but
we're still fairly inexperienced, so I'm not sure how strong of a data
point we should be.

I think the thought process is, if you are mirroring from a source cluster
to a target cluster where there is a WAN between the two, then whichever
request goes across the WAN has a higher chance of intermittent failure
than the one over the LAN. That means that if mirrormaker is near the
source cluster, the produce request over the WAN to the target cluster may
fail. If the mirrormaker is near the target cluster, then the fetch
request over the WAN to the source cluster may fail.

Failed fetch requests don't have much impact on data replication, it just
delays it. Whereas a failure during a produce request may introduce
duplicates.

Becket Qin from LinkedIn did a presentation on tuning producer performance
at a meetup last year, and I remember he specifically talked about
producing over a WAN as one of the cases where you have to tune settings.
Maybe that presentation will give more ideas about what to look at.
https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/JiangjieQin/producer-performance-tuning-for-apache-kafka-63147600

-James

Sent from my iPhone