I found that the deprecation was added speaking about the
KIP-109<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-109%3A+Old+Consumer+Deprecation>
 which discuss the old consumer deprecation.

So the TopicFilter is used in deprecated classes like  OldConsumer,
ConsumerConnector and so on but even in the MirrorMaker which isn't deprecated
but still in Scala so it could be part of the process to move all tools from
Scala to Java.

At same time the new consumer just accept a Pattern in the subscribe and
doesn't use the TopicFilter.

Even with TopicCommand, the --topic can be a pattern.

My understanding is that we can get rid of TopicFilter, Whitelisy and Blacklist
even from the TopicCommand.

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT