+1 on both the KIP and Jason's suggestion of adding the consumer config.

Thanks.
--Vahid

From:   Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   08/09/2017 09:40 AM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-186: Increase offsets retention default
to 7 days

+1 on the bump to 7 days. Wanted to mention one minor point. The
OffsetCommit RPC still provides the ability to set the retention time from
the client, but we do not use it in the consumer. Should we consider
adding
a consumer config to set this? Given the problems people had with the old
default, such a config would probably have gotten a fair bit of use. Maybe
it's less necessary with the new default, but there may be situations
where
you don't want to keep the offsets for too long. For example, the console
consumer commits offsets with a generated group id. We might want to set a
low retention time to keep it from filling the offset cache with garbage
from such groups.

-Jason

<mickael.mai...@gmail.com>