Hi Apurva,

Regarding acks. I think acks=all is not an isolated independent
configuration for durability. The reason we want to enable acks=all is to
tolerate broker failures. But If that is the case, not setting min.isr to
>=2 seems defeating that purpose. If we set min.isr=2, setting replication
factor to 3 would be required to provide availability in case of one broker
failure.

Regarding max.in.flight.requests.per.connection. I am thinking that one way
to avoid excessive buffering on the broker side is to let the
ProduceRequest include a per partition last received acked sequence. This
way the broker just need to keep the sequence/offset/timestamp whose
sequence is above the received last acked sequence and less than or equals
to the last appended sequence. This should limit the amount of the sequence
we have to keep on the broker side. And I agree with Guozhang that we
should limit the total memory of the sequence buffered on the broker. In
the worst case, falling back to do a disk search may not be that bad
assuming people are not doing insane things.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin