On Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 13:33, Michael Pearce wrote:
> To me, this is a lot more in line with many other systems connections, to
> have the ability to have a single connection string / uri, is this really
> that left field suggesting or wanting this?
>
> If anything this bring kafka more standardised approach imo, to have a
> unified resource identifier, protocol name and a set schema for that.
>
> e.g.
> Database connection strings like
>
> oracle:
> jdbc:oracle:thin:@(description=(address_list=
>    (address=(protocol=tcp)(port=1521)(host=prodHost)))
> (connect_data=(INSTANCE_NAME=ORCL)))

Hmm.  That isn't a URI, though, right?  So adopting URIs doesn't help us
integrate with JDBC.  In any case, since Kafka is not a database, it is
a little unclear what better integration with JDBC would look like.
Perhaps that is worth thinking about at some point, but it seems
unrelated to this URI discussion.

> On 05/10/2017, 20:10, "Clebert Suconic" <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org>
>     wrote:
>     > We used URIs as file paths in Hadoop.  I think it was a mistake, for a
>     > few different reasons.
>     >
>     > URIs are actually very complex.  You probably know about scheme, host,
>     > and port, but did you know about authority, user-info, query, fragment,
>     > scheme-specific-part?  Do you know what they do in Hadoop?  The mapping
>     > isn't obvious (and it wouldn't be obvious in Kafka either).
>
>     URIs are just a hashmap of key=string.. just like Properties...

You really can't treat a URI as a hashmap.  For one thing, the scheme
and hostname parts are not optional.

You are probably thinking of the "query" part (the part after the
question mark).  This isn't  map either-- it's a sequence of
comma-separated key=value pairs.  The same key can appear multiple
times.  And you have to encode everything with RFC3986 "percent
encoding."

>     The Consumer and Producer is just having such hashMap.. and these
>     values are easy to translate to boolean, integer.. etc. We would just
>     need to add such mapping as part of this task when done. I don't see
>     anything difficult there.

I don't object to having some kind of connection string that rolls up
all the configuration properties.  I just don't think it should be a
URI.

>     >
>     > When you flip back and forth between URIs and strings (and you
>     > inevitably will do this, when serializing or sending things over the
>     > wire), you run into tons of really hard problems.  Should you preserve
>     > the "fragment" (the thing after the hash mark) for your URI, or not?  It
>     > may not do anything now, but maybe it will do something later.  URIs
>     > also have complex string escaping rules.  Parsing URIs is very messy,
>     > especially when you start talking about non-Java programming languages.
>

>     Why flip back and forth? URIs would generate the same HashMap that's
>     being generated today.. I don't see any mess here.
>     Besides... This would be an addition, not replacement...
>
>     And I'm talking only about the Java API now.

We have a lot of non-Java clients-- those should be part of the
discussion.

>     Again, All the properties on ProducerConfig and ConsumerConfig seems
>     easy to be mapped as primitive types (String, numbers.. booleans).
>
>     Serialization shouldn't be a problem there. it would generate the
>     same
>     properties it's generated now.
>
>     >
>     > URIs are designed for a world where you talk to a single host over a
>     > single port.  That isn't the world distributed systems live in.  You
>     > don't want your clients to fail to bootstrap because the single server
>     > you specified is having a bad day, even when the other 8 servers are up.
>
>     I have seen a few projects using this style of URI: I would make it
>     doing the same here:
>
>     If you have multiple hosts:
>
>     KafkaConsumer consumer = new
>
> KafkaConsumer("kafka:(kafka://host1:port,kafka://host2:port)?property1=value");

That's not a valid URI?

>     if you have a single host:
>     KafkaConsumer consumer = new
>     KafkaConsumer("kafka://host2:port?property1=value&property2=value2");
>

>     One example of an apache project using a similar approach is
>     qpid-jms:
>
> http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-jms-0.25.0/docs/index.html#failover-configuration-options
>

>     > The bottom line is that URIs are the wrong abstraction for the job.
>     > They just don't express what we really want, and they introduce a lot of
>     > complexity and ambiguity.
>
>     I have seen the opposite to be honest. this has been simpler for me
>     and users I know than using a HashMap.. .  users in my experience
>     tend
>     to write this faster.

Users tend to find make mistakes when writing URIs.  For example, how do
you translate a filename with spaces and commas into a URI?  I had to
debug these issues.  It is why I dislike URIs.

As I said before, a connection string might be a good idea.  A URI, no.

best,
Colin