I've updated the KIP to use the topics.regex name and opened a WIP PR with
an implementation that shows some additional complexity in how the
configuration option gets passed through, affecting various public function
signatures.

I would appreciate any eyes on that for feedback on whether more design
discussion needs to happen in the KIP.

https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4151