Hi Viktor,

I was under the impression that slf4j is just a facade over the
underlying log library.  So the good thing about moving to slf4j is that
it will allow us to more easily migrate to a new log library (logback,
log4j2, etc.) in the future if we want.  slf4j is also better for
library code, because it allows the library user to continue using their
own logging library, rather than adopting ours.

But I don't see why moving to slf4j would make log4j-extras less useful
to us.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

Also, just to clarify, I was proposing including log4j-extras with the
Kafka brokers, not as a dependency of the producer, consumer, or other
library code.

best,
Colin