Hi Steven,

I noticed you are making KafkaFuture.addWaiter(...) public as part of your
PR. This is a very useful method to add – and you should mention it  in the
KIP – however addWaiter currently doesn't guard against exceptions thrown
inside of the BiConsumer function, which is something we should probably
fix before making it public.

I was about to make the necessary exception handling changes as part of
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4308 until someone pointed out your
KIP to me. Since you already have a PR out, it might be worth incorporating
my fixes (and the extra docs), what do you think?

I'll rebase my PR onto yours to make it easier to merge.

Thanks!
Xavier