Hi, Tom,

Thanks for the KIP. It definitely addresses one of the pain points in
partition reassignment. Another issue that it also addresses is the ZK node
size limit when writing the reassignment JSON.

My only concern is that the KIP needs to create one watcher per reassigned
partition. This could add overhead in ZK and complexity for debugging when
lots of partitions are being reassigned simultaneously. We could
potentially improve this by introducing a separate ZK path for change
notification as we do for configs. For example, every time we change the
assignment for a set of partitions, we could further write a sequential
node /admin/reassignment_changes/[change_x]. That way, the controller only
needs to watch the change path. Once a change is triggered, the controller
can read everything under /admin/reassignments/.

Jun