From:   Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   12/11/2017 03:43 PM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-229: DeleteGroups API

Hi Vahid,

Seems reasonable to me. A few questions.

1. What error code do we use when the group is not empty?

*** Thanks for pointing our this use case. I suggest introducing an error
code (e.g. NON_EMPTY_GROUP) for this case. It seems none of the existing
codes is a good fit here.

2. Do we need the capability to delete offsets individually for a
partition? I ask because the offset tool lets you set the offset for
partitions individually, so it might be natural to expect you could also
delete them individually. We could leave this as potential future work if
the use case is not too compelling.

*** That makes sense. I'll add that functionality in the KIP.

3. Looks like you've added this API to the internal AdminClient. Wanted to
check if that was intentional. Since the public AdminClient doesn't
support
any of the group admin capabilities, I think it's reasonable to leave it
out of this KIP.

*** I exposed this functionality through AdminClient based on Ding's
suggestion earlier that users would benefit from it programmatically. If
we want to be consistent wrt. admin functions in AdminClient, I'll remove
it from the KIP.

Thanks,
Jason