Hey Jun,

Hmm... thinking about this more, I am not sure that the proposed API is
sufficient. For users that store offset externally, we probably need extra
API to return the leader_epoch and partition_epoch for all partitions that
consumers are consuming. I suppose these users currently use position() to
get the offset. Thus we probably need a new method positionWithEpoch(..) to
return <offset, partition_epoch, leader_epoch>. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Dong