re: whitespace characters, I'm fine with the restriction since I don't see
it becoming an issue in practice. I just don't see any reason to restrict
it so it seems like we're going out of our way and doing extra work to be
restrictive, but without clear motivation.

In general my default approach (without context of a specific system) would
be to accept anything that we can encode in UTF-8 and only apply
restrictions where it becomes necessary (e.g. we need to define a delimiter
for some reason). The constraints of URLs introduce some complexity (you
need escaping), but probably generally still allow this. If I can use an
emoji when naming things, then I'm probably happy :) Whitespace characters
definitely have some other issues (e.g. you can have non-visible whitespace
which obscures which connector you're actually working with), but despite
the JIRA linked, I wasn't really convinced they need special handling. It
seems like a really weird issue to encounter in the first place.

-Ewen