Hey Colin,

I understand that the KIP will adds overhead by introducing per-partition
partitionEpoch. I am open to alternative solutions that does not incur
additional overhead. But I don't see a better way now.

IMO the overhead in the FetchResponse may not be that much. We probably
should discuss the percentage increase rather than the absolute number
increase. Currently after KIP-227, per-partition header has 23 bytes. This
KIP adds another 4 bytes. Assume the records size is 10KB, the percentage
increase is 4 / (23 + 10000) = 0.03%. It seems negligible, right?

I agree that we can probably save more space by using partition ID so that
we no longer needs the string topic name. The similar idea has also been
put in the Rejected Alternative section in KIP-227. While this idea is
promising, it seems orthogonal to the goal of this KIP. Given that there is
already many work to do in this KIP, maybe we can do the partition ID in a
separate KIP?

Thanks,
Dong