Hi Jun, thanks for your mail.

Thank you for your questions!
I think they are really good and tackle the core of the problem I see.

I will answer inline, mostly but still want to set the tone here.

The core strength of kafka is what Martin once called the kappa-Architecture. How does this work? You have everything as a log as in kafka. When you need to change something. You create the new version of your application and leave it running in parallel. Once the new version is good you switch your users to use the new application.

The online reshuffling effectively breaks this architecture and I think the switch in thinking here is more harmful than any details about the partitioning function to allow such a change. I feel with my suggestion we are the closest to the original and battle proven architecture and I can only warn to move away from it.

I might have forgotten something, sometimes its hard for me to getting all the thoughts captured in a mail, but I hope the comments inline will further make my concern clear, and put some emphasis on why I prefer my solution ;)

One thing we should all be aware of when discussing this, and I think Dong should have mentioned it (maybe he did). We are not discussing all of this out of thin air but there is an effort in the Samza project.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SAMZA/SEP-5%3A+Enable+partition+expansion+of+input+streams
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-1293

To be clear. I think SEP-5 (state of last week, dont know if it adapted to this discussion) is on a way better path than KIP-253, and I can't really explain why.

Best Jan,

nice weekend everyone