Hey Dong,

Congrats on becoming a committer!!!

Since I just sent a novel-length email, I'll try and keep this one brief ;)

Regarding producer coordination, I'll grant that in that case, producers
may coordinate among themselves to produce into the same topic or to
produce co-partitioned topics. Nothing in KStreams or the Kafka ecosystem
in general requires such coordination for correctness or in fact for any
optional features, though, so I would not say that we require producer
coordination of partition logic. If producers currently coordinate, it's
completely optional and their own choice.

Regarding the portability of partition algorithms, my observation is that
systems requiring independent implementations of the same algorithm with
100% correctness are a large source of risk and also a burden on those who
have to maintain them. If people could flawlessly implement algorithms in
actual software, the world would be a wonderful place indeed! For a system
as important and widespread as Kafka, I would recommend restricting
limiting such requirements as aggressively as possible.

I'd agree that we can always revisit decisions like allowing arbitrary
partition functions, but of course, we shouldn't do that in a vacuum. That
feels like the kind of thing we'd need to proactively seek guidance from
the users list about. I do think that the general approach of saying that
"if you use a custom partitioner, you cannot do partition expansion" is
very reasonable (but I don't think we need to go that far with the current
proposal). It's similar to my statement in my email to Jun that in
principle KStreams doesn't *need* backfill, we only need it if we want to
employ partition expansion.

I reckon that the main motivation for backfill is to support KStreams use
cases and also any other use cases involving stateful consumers.

Thanks for your response, and congrats again!
-John