Ewen, thanks for your thoughts.

Just to clarify the current KIP does not propose for four new prefixes, but
three plus the existing one. So it is

"consumer"
"main.consumer"
"restore.consumer"
"global.consumer"

If we design the configs for the first time, I'd be in favor of only
keeping the last three prefixes. But as of now we have a compatibility
issue to consider. So the question is if it is worthwhile to break the
compatibility and enforce users to make code changes. My rationale is that:

1) for normal users they would not bother overriding configs for different
types of consumers, where "consumer" prefix is good enough for them; and
today they probably have already made those overrides via "consumer".

2) for advanced users they would need some additional overrides for
different types of consumers, and they would go ahead and learn about the
other three prefixes and set them there.

I agree that four prefixes would be more confusing, but if we think use
case 1)'s popularity is much larger than use case 2), which by the way we
can still debate on, then I'd argue it's better to not force normal user
groups from 1) to make code changes to make advanced users from 2) less
confused about the hierarchy.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang