Hi Guozhang,

bq. I'm not sure I understand you statement that it is used to determine the
"version" of the record

I do not mean that it is "used", but if what you meant is that you would prefer
to use that field instead of a header?
This is in relation to a previous point of yours:
>>> 1) I'm also in favor of making the `timestamp` a preserved config value
>>> along with `offset`, for which we would not go into the headers to look for
>>> the matching key, but directly look into the timestamp field of the message.

bq. Regarding the byte arrays: I think byte arrays are indeed comparable, right?

As far as I am aware, they are not comparable. Then again, I am not aware of
everything that exists everywhere :)
I just experimented with the code you mentioned and get super-inconsistent
results, which make me reluctant to rely on it:
https://codebunk.com/b/704211525/

Thank you again for the comments.