Hi,

the only real usecase for the REST interface I can see is providing
health/liveness checks for mesos/kubernetes. It's also true that the API
can be left as is and e.g. not exposed publicly on the platform level, but
this would still leave opportunities to accidentally mess something up
internally, so it's mostly a safety concern.

Regarding the option renaming: I agree that it's not necessary as it's not
clashing with anything, my reasoning is that assuming some other offset
storage appears in the future, having all config properties at the root
level of offset.storage.* _MIGHT_ introduce clashes in the future, so this
is just a suggestion for introducing a convention of
offset.storage.<store>.<properties>, which the existing
property offset.storage.file.filename already adheres to. But in general,
yes -- this can be left as is.