bq. When this configuration is set to anything other than "*offset*" or "
*timestamp*", then the record headers are scanned for a key matching this
value.

Can the value be determined now ? My thinking is that what if there is a
third compaction strategy proposed in the future ? We should guard against
user unknowingly choosing the 'future' strategy.

bq. If this header is found

Shouldn't the selection in header have higher precedence over the configuration
?

Please create JIRA if you haven't already.

Thanks