Sorry for the noise. Let me try again:

My initial suggestion was to *track *the uncleanable disk space.
> I can see why marking a log directory as offline after a certain threshold
> of uncleanable disk space is more useful.
> I'm not sure if we can set that threshold to be of certain size (e.g 100GB)
> as log directories might have different sizes.  Maybe a percentage would be
> better then (e.g 30% of whole log dir size), WDYT?

The two most common problems I am aware of when the log cleaner crashes are
1) running out of disk space and 2) excessive coordinator loading time. The
problem in the latter case is that when the log cleaner is not running, the
__consumer_offsets topics can become huge. If there is a failure which
causes a coordinator change, then it can take a long time for the new
coordinator to load the offset cache since it reads from the beginning.
Consumers are effectively dead in the water when this happens since they
cannot commit offsets. We've seen coordinator loading times in the hours
for some users. If we could set a total cap on the uncleanable size, then
we can reduce the impact from unbounded __consumer_offsets growth.

Also it's true that log directories may have different sizes, but I'm not
sure that is a common case. I don't think it would be too restrictive to
use a single max size for all directories. I think the key is just having
some way to cap the size of the uncleaned data.

I feel it still makes sense to have a metric tracking how many uncleanable
> partitions there are and the total amount of uncleanable disk space (per
> log dir, via a JMX tag).
> But now, rather than fail the log directory after a certain count of
> uncleanable partitions, we could fail it after a certain percentage (or
> size) of its storage is uncleanable.

Yes, having the metric for uncleanable partitions could be useful. I was
mostly concerned about the corresponding config since it didn't seem to
address the main problems with the cleaner dying.

Thanks,
Jason