It is not implemented, but should not be hard to do so (and again you do
NOT have to do that in this KIP, I'm bringing this up so that you can help
thinking about the process).

Quoting from Colin's comment:

"
The pattern is that you would try to send a request for more than one
group, and then you would get an UnsupportedVersionException (nothing would
be sent on the wire, this is purely internal to the code).
Then your code would handle the UVE by creating requests with an older
version that only had one group each.
"

Guozhang

--