Hello Bill,

I made a pass over your proposal and here are some questions:

1. For Joined names, the current proposal is to define the repartition
topic names as

* [app-id]-this-[join-name]-repartition

* [app-id]-other-[join-name]-repartition

And if [join-name] not specified, stay the same, which is:

* [previous-processor-name]-repartition for both Stream-Stream (S-S) join
and S-T join

I think it is more natural to rename it to

* [app-id]-[join-name]-left-repartition

* [app-id]-[join-name]-right-repartition

2. I'd suggest to use the name to also define the corresponding processor
names accordingly, in addition to the repartition topic names. Note that
for joins, this may be overlapping with KIP-307
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-307%3A+Allow+to+define+custom+processor+names+with+KStreams+DSL>
as
it also have proposals for defining processor names for join operators as
well.

3. Could you also specify how this would affect the optimization for
merging multiple repartition topics?

4. In the "Compatibility, Deprecation, and Migration Plan" section, could
you also mention the following scenarios, if any of the upgrade path would
be changed:

 a) changing user DSL code: under which scenarios users can now do a
rolling bounce instead of resetting applications.

 b) upgrading from older version to new version, with all the names
specified, and with optimization turned on. E.g. say we have the code
written in 2.1 with all names specified, and now upgrading to 2.2 with new
optimizations that may potentially change the repartition topics. Is that
always safe to do?

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang