That sound correct, Colin.

At runtime (we just merged an improvement this week, cf KIP-353), Kafka
Streams synchronizes different topics based on record timestamps.
Records are buffered internally before processed and we `pause()`
partitions for which the number of records in the buffer exceeds a
configurable threshold (`buffered.records.per.partition` parameter).

Timestamp based synchronization (ie, message choosing) is essential for
DSL semantics. A custom MessageChosser might break DSL operator semantics.

Having said this, there might be use cases for with timestamps based
synchronization is not desired. However, I would assume that this would
be a Processor API level feature, not a DSL level feature.

Hence, offering something similar to MessageChooser interface at
Processor API level that is leveraged at runtime might make sense. For
this case, the DSL would plug-in its timestamp based synchronization
strategy. Take this with a grain of salt though. I have not thought this
through and it might actually not be possible to express the needed
timestamp synchronization with a MessageChooser interface.

-Matthias