John, thanks for the explanation, now it makes much more sense to me.

As for the concrete approach, to me it seems the first option requires less
changes than the second (ConfiguredStreamsFactory based) approach, whereas
the second one requires an additional interface that is overlapping with
the AbstractConfig.

I'm aware that in KafkaProducer / KafkaConsumer we do not have public
constructors for taking a ProducerConfig or ConsumerConfig directly, and
anyone using Spring can share how you've worked around it by far? If it is
very awkward I'm not against just adding the XXXConfigs to the constructors
directly.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang