Hi Colin/Zahari,

I have created a ticket for the similar/same feature :
We (Linkedin) had a use case in Samza at Linkedin when they moved from the
SimpleConsumer to KafkaConsumer and they wanted to do this pause and resume
pattern.
They realized there was performance degradation when they started using
KafkaConsumer.assign() and pausing and unPausing partitions. We realized
that not throwing away the prefetched data for paused partitions might
improve the performance. We wrote a benchmark (I can share it if needed) to
prove this. I have attached the findings in the ticket.
We have been running the hotfix internally for quite a while now. When
samza ran this fix in production, they realized 30% improvement in there
app performance.
I have the patch ready on our internal branch and would like to submit a PR
for this on the above ticket asap.
I am not sure, if we need a separate config for this as we haven't seen a
lot of memory overhead due to this in our systems. We have had this running
in production for a considerable amount of time without any issues.
It would be great if you guys can review the PR once its up and see if that
satisfies your requirement. If it doesn't then we can think more on the
config driven approach.
Thoughts??

Thanks,

Mayuresh