I added you to the list of contributes. You can now self-assign ticket
to yourself.

Before you start working on this, we need to understand what the actual
issue is in detail. Note, that sending fetch request to partitions and
what poll() returns is two different things by design.

You might also want to read
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-227%3A+Introduce+Incremental+FetchRequests+to+Increase+Partition+Scalability

I am not sure, if KAFKA-3923 requests to change the fetch request logic
(what was done already) or what poll() returns from the buffer, or maybe
both. It would be good to ask for clarification on the ticket to see
what the reported actually means, and if the current behavior meets
there requirements and if not, why.

Overall, this change seems to require a KIP anyway. Hope this helps.

-Matthias