Dong,

Thanks for the comments.   I have updated the KIP based on your comments.

below is reply to your questions:

1.  We only calculate this metric for log compaction that is determined by
max compaction lag. So we only collect non-negative metrics.  The log
cleaner is consistently running with some back off time if no job needs to
be done.
The max is the max among all log cleaner threads in their latest run not
the historical max.  This is similar to existing metric
"max-clean-time-secs".  I now mentioned this is metric from each thread in
the KIP.
User can look at the historical data to track how delay changes over time
(similar as other log cleaner metrics).

Another way of defining this metric is : "compaction_finish_time -
earliest_timestamp_of_first_uncompacted_segment".  So it is not w.r.t.
However,  max compaction lag may vary for different topics, and this
doesn't really tell how soon a compaction request is fulfilled after max
compaction lag.  What do you think?

2.  This is intent to track whether the latest logs compacted are
determined by max compaction lag.
The metric will be updated for each log cleaner run. If there are 2 two log
cleaner threads, and they both work on log partitions determined by "max
compaction lag" in their last run,  the value of this metric will be 2.
The previous metric doesn't provide this information if there are more than
one log cleaner thread.

3. I meant to say it is required to be picked up by log compaction after
this max lag. But the actual compaction finish time may vary, since the log
cleaner may take time to finish compaction on this partition or log cleaner
may work on other partition first.
Guarantee may be misleading, I have updated the KIP.

4. It is determined based on the cleaner checkpoint file.  This KIP doesn't
change how broker determined the un-compacted segments.
5.  done.
6.  Why should we need to make this feature depends upon message
timestamp?  "segment.largestTimestamp - maxSegmentMs" is
a reasonable estimate to determine the violation of max compaction lag,
and this estimate is only needed if the first segment of a log partition is
un-compacted.
7.  I removed unrelated part, and specifically mentioned the added
metric "num-logs-compacted-by-max-compaction-lag"
can be used for this performance impact measurement.

Xiongqi (Wesley) Wu