From: Stanislav Kozlovski <stanis...@confluent.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:52 PM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] KIP-389: Enforce group.max.size to cap member metadata
growth

Hey Boyang,

I think we still need to take care of group shrinkage because even if users
change the config value we cannot guarantee that all consumer groups would
have been manually shrunk.

Regarding 2., I agree that forcefully triggering a rebalance might be the
most intuitive way to handle the situation.
What does a "trivial rebalance" mean? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term.
I was thinking that maybe we could force a rebalance, which would cause
consumers to commit their offsets (given their rebalanceListener is
configured correctly) and subsequently reject some of the incoming
`joinGroup` requests. Does that sound like it would work?

--
Best,
Stanislav