Hi Boyang,

Thanks for pointing out the possibility of skipping bad records (never
crossed my mind). I suppose we could make it an option for the user if they
could skip a bad record. It was never the intention of this KIP though on
whether or not to do that. I could log a JIRA on such an issue, but I think
this is out of the KIP's scope.

As for the ordering guarantees, if you are using the standard Kafka design
of one thread per task. Then everything will pretty much remain the same.
However, if we are talking about using multiple threads per task (which is
something that this KIP proposes), then we should probably expect the
behavior to be somewhat similar to Samza's Async Task as stated in the JIRA
for this KIP (second-last comment).
Ordering would no longer be possible (so yeah, basically no guarantee at
all).

And how the user handles out-of-order messages is not something I'm well
versed in. I guess they can try to put the messages back in order some time
later on. But I honestly don't know what they will do.
It would be good if you could give me some insight into this.

Cheers,
Richard