On Thu, Nov 29, 2018, at 01:15, Lincong Li wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thanks for all feedback on this KIP. I have had some lengthy offline
> discussions with Dong, Joel and other insightful developers. I updated
> KIP
> 388
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-388%3A+Add+observer+interface+to+record+request+and+response>
> and
> proposed a different way of recording each request and response. Here is
> summary of the change.
>
> Instead of having interfaces as wrapper on AbstractRequest and
> AbstractResponse, I provided an interface on the Struct class which
> represents the Kafka protocol format ("wire format"). The interface is
> called ObservableStruct and it provides a set of getters that allow user to
> extract information from the internal Struct instance. Some other possible
> approaches are discussed in the KIP as well. But after lots of thinking, I
> think the currently proposed approach is the best one.
>
> Why is this the best approach?
> 1. *It's the most general way* to intercept/observe each request/response
> with any type since each request/response must be materialized to a Struct
> instance at some point in their life cycle.
>
> 2. *It's the easiest-to-maintain interface*. There is basically only one
> interface (ObservableStruct) and its implementation (ObservableStructImp)
> to maintain. Due to the fact that this interface essentially defines a set
> of ways to get field(s) from the Struct, that means even changes on the
> structure of the Structure (wire format changes) is not going to cause the
> interface to change.
>
> 3. Struct represents the Kafka protocol format which is public. Expecting
> users to have knowledge of the format of the kind of request/response they
> are recording is reasonable. Moreover, *the proposed interfaces freeze the
> least amount of internal implementation details into public APIs by only
> exposing ways of extracting information on the Struct class*.
>
> I am aware that adding this broker-side instrumentation would touch other
> sensitive modules and trigger many discussions on design trade-offs and
> etc. I appreciate all of your effort trying to make it happen and truly
> believe in the benefits it can bring to the community.
>
> Thanks,
> Lincong Li

Hi Lincong,

Thanks for thinking through this problem.  It's a tough one!

In general, we would like to get rid of the Struct classes and just directly
translate Java data structures to sequences of bytes (and vice versa).  The
reason is that going from byte sequence to Struct to internal data structure is
an extra step.  This extra step generates lots of garbage for the garbage
collector to clean up.  This is especially true for large messages like
FetchRequest.  In addition to the memory cost, this is extra code and extra
operations that we don't really need to perform.

This issue has shown up a lot when we profile Kafka performance.  Since the
amount of extra garbage scales with the number of partitions, it's especially
bad in large enterprise clusters.

best,
Colin