Hi All,

I would like to start a discussion about adding new functionality to
MaskField SMT. The existing implementation allows to mask out any field
value with the null equivalent of the field type.

I suggest to add a possibility to provide a literal replacement for the
field. This way you can mask out any PII info (IP, SSN etc.) with any
custom replacement.

It is a short KIP which does not require major changes, but could help to
make this transformation more useful for the client.

The KIP is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-437%3A+Custom+replacement+for+MaskField+SMT

I would be glad to receive any feedback on this KIP.

Kind Regards,
Valeria