Hi Harsha,

Thanks for the answer, makes sense.
In the meantime one edge case popped up in my mind but first let me
summarize what I understand if I interpret your KIP correctly.

So basically whenever the leader RSM copies over a segment to the remote
storage, the leader RLM will append an entry to its remote index files with
the remote position. After this LogManager can delete the local segment.
Parallel to this RLM followers are periodically scanning the remote storage
for files and if they find a new one they update their indices.

Now, will the consumer be able to consume a remote segment if:
- the remote segment is stored in the remote storage, BUT
- the leader broker failed right after this AND
- the follower which is to become a leader didn't scan yet for a new
segment?
Would this result in an OffsetOutOfRangeException or would the failover
halt the consume request until the new leader has the latest information?
As a follow-up question, what are your experiences, does a failover in a
broker causes bigger than usual churn in the consumers? (I'm thinking about
the time required to rebuild remote index files.)

Thanks,
Viktor