Thanks for the KIP. Only one initial comment (Sophie mentioned this
already but I want to emphasize on it).

You state that

> These will be internal classes, so no public API/interface.

If this is the case, we don't need a KIP. However, the idea of the
original Jira is to actually make those classes public, as part of the
`streams-test-utils` package. If it's not public, developers should not
use them, because they don't have any backward compatibility guarantees.

Hence, I would suggest that the corresponding classes go into a new
package `org.apache.kafka.streams.state`.

-Matthias