"lack of default doesn't force people to think - it gets them to pick a
random number" - I suppose if I'm being pragmatic this rings very true to
my experience as well... better a cluster administrator sets a sane default
than having users choose random numbers!

Consider me convinced - I'll update the KIP to reflect this: if replicas,
partitions and manual assignments are all missing, the cluster defaults
will be used.