Good point, Gwen. We always set a non empty value for client id:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/2.2.0/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/clients/consumer/KafkaConsumer.java#L668
.

But more importantly, connect client ids (for consumers, for example) were
already of the form "consumer-[0-9]+", and from now on they will be
"connector-consumer-[connector_name]-[0-9]+". So, at least for connect
consumers/producers, we would have already been hitting the default quota
limits and nothing changes for them. You can correct me if I'm missing
something, but seems like this doesn't *break* backward compatibility?

I suppose this change only gives us a better way to manage that quota limit.

Best,