Thank you Guozhang, some of my understandings are inline below.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

> > I think co-locating does have some merits here, i.e. letting the
> > ConsumerCoordinator which has the source-of-truth of assignment to act as
> > the TxnCoordinator as well; but I agree there's also some cons of
> coupling
> > them together. I'm still a bit inclining towards colocation but if there
> > are good rationales not to do so I can be convinced as well.
>

> The good rationale is that we have no mechanism to colocate partitions ;).
> Are you suggesting we store the group and transaction state in the same
> log? Can you be more concrete about the benefit?
>
> -Jason
>
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM Guozhang Wang <wangg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boyang,
> >
> > 1. One advantage of retry against on-hold is that it will not tie-up a
> > handler thread (of course the latter could do the same but that involves
> > using a purgatory which is more complicated), and also it is less likely
> > violate request timeout. So I think there are some rationales to prefer
> > retries.

 That sounds fair to me, also we are avoiding usage of another purgatory
instance. Usually for one back-off
we are only delaying 50ms during startup which is trivial cost. This
behavior shouldn't be changed.

> 2. Regarding "ConsumerRebalanceListener": both ConsumerRebalanceListener
> > and PartitionAssignors are user-customizable modules, and only difference
> > is that the former is specified via code and the latter is specified via
> > config.
> >
> > Regarding Jason's proposal of ConsumerAssignment, one thing to note
> though
> > with KIP-429 the onPartitionAssigned may not be called if the assignment
> > does not change, whereas onAssignment would always be called at the end
> of
> > sync-group response. My proposed semantics is that
> > `RebalanceListener#onPartitionsXXX` are used for notifications to user,
> and
> > hence if there's no changes these will not be called, whereas
> > `PartitionAssignor` is used for assignor logic, whose callback would
> always
> > be called no matter if the partitions have changed or not.
>
> I think a third option is to gracefully expose generation id as part of
consumer API, so that we don't need to
bother overloading various callbacks. Of course, this builds upon the
assumption that topic partitions
will not be included in new initTransaction API.

> 3. I feel it is a bit awkward to let the TxnCoordinator keeping partition
> > assignments since it is sort of taking over the job of the
> > ConsumerCoordinator, and may likely cause a split-brain problem as two
> > coordinators keep a copy of this assignment which may be different.
> >
> > I think co-locating does have some merits here, i.e. letting the
> > ConsumerCoordinator which has the source-of-truth of assignment to act as
> > the TxnCoordinator as well; but I agree there's also some cons of
> coupling
> > them together. I'm still a bit inclining towards colocation but if there
> > are good rationales not to do so I can be convinced as well.

The purpose of co-location is to let txn coordinator see the group
assignment. This priority is weakened
when we already have defense on the consumer offset fetch, so I guess it's
not super important anymore.

> > 4. I guess I'm preferring the philosophy of "only add configs if there's
> no
> > other ways", since more and more configs would make it less and less
> > intuitive out of the box to use.
> >
> > I think it's a valid point that checks upon starting up does not cope
> with
> > brokers downgrading but even with a config, but it is still hard for
> users
> > to determine when they can be ensured the broker would never downgrade
> > anymore and hence can safely switch the config. So my feeling is that
> this
> > config would not be helping too much still. If we want to be at the safer
> > side, then I'd suggest we modify the Coordinator -> NetworkClient
> hierarchy
> > to allow the NetworkClient being able to pass the APIVersion metadata to
> > Coordinator, so that Coordinator can rely on that logic to change its
> > behavior dynamically.

The stream thread init could not be supported by a client coordinator
behavior change on the fly,
we are only losing possibilities after we initialized. (main thread gets
exit and no thread has global picture anymore)
If we do want to support auto version detection, admin client request in
this sense shall be easier.

> > 5. I do not have a concrete idea about how the impact on Connect would
> > make, maybe Randall or Konstantine can help here?

Sounds good, let's see their thoughts.