Ivan, I looked at adding PATCH a while ago as well. I decided not to pursue
the idea for a few reasons:

1) PATCH is still racy. For example, if you want to add a topic to the
"topics" property, you still need to read, modify, and write the existing
value. To handle this, you'd need to support atomic sub-document
operations, which I don't see happening.

2) A common pattern is to store your configurations in git or something,
and then apply them via PUT. Throw in some triggers or jenkins etc, and you
have a more robust solution than PATCH provides.

3) For properties that change a lot, it's possible to use an out-of-band
data source, e.g. Kafka or Zookeeper, and then have your Connector
subscribe to changes. I've done something like this to enable dynamic
reconfiguration of Connectors from command-line tools and dashboards
without involving the Connect REST API at all. Moreover, I've done so in an
atomic, non-racy way.

So I don't think PATCH is strictly necessary nor sufficient for atomic
partial updates. That said, it doesn't hurt and I'm happy to support the
KIP.

Ryanne