Hi all,

Karaf Boot code is now on the Apache Git:

https://git.apache.org/karaf-boot.git/

with the github mirror:

https://github.com/apache/karaf-boot

I created the component in Jira.

I will update the website with karaf-boot description.

I propose the following roadmap for karaf-boot, heading to the first 1.0 release:

1. Bootstrapping
----------------
As a reminder, karaf-boot has two goals:
- simplify the way to create module and application for developers
- simplify the bootstrapping as a "standalone" application (leveraging the container feature)

Currently, we mostly address the first point. Our starters provide annotations allowing to easily create application. The karaf-boot-maven-plugin "calls" the annotation processor in the starters, and other plugins behind the hood to easily generate artifacts.

Now, we have to address the second point: bootstrapping. I started a PoC on that.
I created new starters for bootstrapping:
- karaf-boot-starter-feature creates a feature using the dependencies and project artifact - karaf-boot-starter-distribution creates both zip and tar.gz Karaf custom distribution embedding the current project artifact and dependencies - karaf-boot-starter-distribution-rjar is similar to distribution, but it's a runnable jar (using a custom Main) - karaf-boot-starter-docker creates a docker image embedding the custom distribution

Now, the karaf-boot-maven-plugin is checking the dependencies to find one of these bootstrap starter, and react accordingly. However, most of the logic is in the plugin, leveraging karaf-maven-plugin (assembly and archive goals for instance). If this approach works (and is easy), I don't think it's the most elegant way. I think we should create a @bootstrap annotation on a Runnable class in the bootstrap starters. The annotated class is responsible of the bootstrap artifact creation. An abstract bootstrap starter provide an annotation processor that look for @bootstrap annotation and run the class in a thread. The karaf-boot-maven-plugin just delegates the bootstrapping to the starter.

WDYT ?

2. New starters
---------------
We have to extend the coverage of the starter to address more use cases. I'm thinking about starters for test (both utest and itest leveraging pax-exam), for jaas, for management/MBean, for eventadmin, for decanter, for camel, etc.

3. New samples
--------------
Related to 2, each new starter should have a corresponding sample. The samples are really important as it's where the users start.

We should also provide kind of full application use case, multi-module. I started this showing how to use different starters in different modules (like a Logo construction set).

4. Documentation and Karaf Dev Guide
The "new" Karaf Dev guide will be based mostly on karaf-boot. A second section ("advanced") can still address non karaf-boot cases.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB
--