The problem with OSGi docs is that most of the material is quite old.
Much of it does not apply to modern OSGi development anymore.

Another issue is that especially for dependency injection there are quite a
few alternatives. Every of these come with their own pros and cons.
As a beginner it is difficult to understand and decide how to start.

Karaf is a great way to start playing with OSGi as many things are readily
available and the shell and webconsole allow some nice insight into the
system. What karaf does not provide though is a good introduction into
OSGi. I tried to do so with my tutorials but they are more like explained
examples.

I planned to do a longer introduction around how to build a typical
application based on best practices .. but it is a lot of work and I never
really took on the task.

You might be interested in my recent talk about OSGi best practices.
Unfortunately in 30 minutes I was not able to really explain how to build
an application but maybe the example helps a bit.
https://adapt.to/2019/en/schedule/osgi-best-practices.html
The most interesting part there is maybe how to build bundles without xml
config.
The new annotations that combine requirements and configs are also very
interesting.
Both of these are not yet covered by much material on the web.
In the example there is a small application with an angular front end and a
jax-rs backend that can be easily installed in karaf.

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist