I like this idea.

In addition to dropwizard, I think we need to rule out leveraging what is
used in hadoop common.
I don't know how generic it is but do know that there is a JMXServlet that
can be used to expose the metrics
in a REST-like way.

Leveraging hadoop common where possible is something that I like to
consider more frequently and I think that
we should have probably done that more from the start.

I would definitely say to create the JIRA and continue the proposal there
with high level design in attachments or wiki.