Greetings Larry,

As always thanks for the community's good work and collaborative support.

I have been following the traffic on Knox improvements for sometime but have
not built and used the interim builds.  All the deployment topology
improvements sound very useful in production.  To fully close the loop for our
operations team, the integration with Ambari is going to prove critical.  Many
tools we use (Confluent Kafka REST, Livy, etc) require manual installation and
then complex configuration.  With these recent addition to Knox and future
improvements to Ambari, it would be great to declaratively state which services
to proxy and have automatic host detection with high availability/failover.
Essentially a complete end-to-end solution with a low rate of failure
opportunity for our operations teams.

So in the interim, I would ask that changes necessary to support automatic
deployment/registration of Ambari managed services be sufficiently documented
in the Knox. That way existing topologies could be manually setup or a
configuration is set which uses Ambari as a registry.  I just don't want all
the good work done to be overshadowed by inadequate documentation.

Personally, I have been focused on the Knox to client side of things.  This
includes creating a thin HBase REST client out of their baseline.  In the near
future, we should have Kerberos support from the HBASE REST Client API as well.
 This work is being tracked in HBASE-19207
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-19207).  The project can be found
on Github:  https://github.com/rmkellogg/hbase-lite-rest-client.  After which I
will be looking at tackling Kerberos support from the SOLRJ API as well.

Take care,
Rick