Hi Knox experts,

I have my environment running with Knox 0.12.0 already but I am still getting
the same impersonate warning messages as shown below -

"2018-02-22 21:14:39,671 WARN  hadoop.gateway
(IdentityAsserterHttpServletRequestWrapper.java:scrubOfExistingPrincipalParams(199))
 - Possible identity spoofing attempt - impersonation parameter removed:
user.name”

The way I produce this first I make a request to create a file -

        url='https://' + hostip +
':8443/gateway/default/webhdfs/v1/user/clsadmin/test/' + filetag + '_' +
str(num) + '.txt?op=CREATE&overwrite=true'
        req=requests.put(url,verify=False,auth=(user,pwd),allow_redirects=False)
The above put request will not trigger any warning messages like that.

then I have the following request to put some data into the file -

        location=req.headers['Location']
        with open(dataFile) as mydata:
        newreq=requests.put(location,verify=False,auth=(user, pwd), data=mydata)

This second request will trigger the warning message mentioned above.

Is this an issue? or what’s the recommended approach to avoid the warning?

Thanks a lot!

- Yongli

On 2017/05/26 18:26:44, larry mccay <l...@apache.org> wrote:
> CVE-2017-5646: Apache Knox Impersonation Issue for WebHDFS>
>
> Severity: Important>
>
> Vendor:>
> The Apache Software Foundation>
>
> Versions Affected:>
>     All versions of Apache Knox prior to 0.12.0>
>
> An authenticated user may use a specially crafted URL to impersonate another>
> user while accessing WebHDFS through Apache Knox. This may result in>
> escalated>
> privileges and unauthorized data access. While this activity is audit logged>
> and can be easily associated with the authenticated user, this is still a>
> serious security issue.>
>
> Mitigation:>
>   All users are recommended to upgrade to Apache Knox 0.12.0,>
>   where validation, scrubbing and logging of such attempts has been added.>
>
> The Apache Knox 0.12.0 release can be downloaded from:>
> Source: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/knox/0.12.0/knox-0.12.0-src.zip>
> Binary: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/knox/0.12.0/knox-0.12.0.zip>

Best regards,
Yongli An