Hello Kudu devs!

The Apache Kudu team is happy to announce the first release candidate for Apache
Kudu 1.17.0.

Apache Kudu 1.17.0 is a minor release that offers many improvements and fixes
since Apache Kudu 1.16.0.

This is a source-only release. The artifacts have been staged here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/kudu/1.17.0-RC1

Java convenience binaries in the form of a Maven repository are staged here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekudu-1104

Linux (built on CentOS 7) and macOS (built on Ventura) test-only Kudu binary
JAR artifacts are staged here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekudu-1105
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekudu-1106

It is tagged in Git as 1.17.0-RC1 and signed with my key (found in the KEYS file
below). Its commit hash is 34243b3d0777597862aa6d3b51fd401f72d8bbf2 you can
check it out from ASF Gitbox or the official GitHub mirror:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kudu.git;a=commit;h=34243b3d0777597862aa6d3b51fd401f72d8bbf2
https://github.com/apache/kudu/releases/tag/1.17.0-RC1

The KEYS file to verify the artifact and tag signatures can be found here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/kudu/KEYS

The release notes can be found here:
https://github.com/apache/kudu/blob/1.17.0-RC1/docs/release_notes.adoc

I'd suggest going through the release notes, building Kudu, and running the unit
tests. Testing out the Maven repo would also be appreciated. Also, it's worth
running Kudu Java tests against kudu-binary JAR artifact as described in the
commit message here:
https://github.com/apache/kudu/commit/8a6faaa93f3e206ac75e8087731daccaf7ab646a

The vote will run until a majority[1] is achieved, but at least until Saturday
Aug 5th 23:00:00 UTC 2023.

Thank You,
Yingchun Lai

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes