That's right, the requirement for different input source has been asked
many times. Kylin 1.x using Hive as protocol and it has been extended to
support "SQL on Hadoop" as protocol in Kylin 2.

I think we could leverage the advantages from SparkSQL and Apache Drill (or
others), they both offer abstract layer for underline data sources. With
the plug-able input source architecture, Kylin2 just need to depends(or
include) one library and leave the RDBMs even other sources to them.

@Edward, how do you think? Maybe we could consult Drill and Spark community
for such idea.

Thanks.
Luke