Hello, Kylin community,

In the past, we don't have a clear rule on Kylin each component's
ownership, which caused many external patches be pending there as no
reviewer to pick up.

Now we plan to make the process and responsibility more clear. The main
idea is to identify the owners of each Apache Kylin component.

- Component owners will be listed in the description field on this Apache
Kylin JIRA components page [1]. The owners are listed in the 'Description'
field rather than in the 'Component Lead' field because the latter only
allows us to list one individual whereas it is encouraged that components
have multiple owners.

- Component owners are volunteers who are expert in their component domain
and may have an agenda on how they think their Apache Kylin component
should evolve. The owner needs to be an Apache Kylin committer at this
moment.

- Owners will try and review patches that land within their component’s
scope.

- Owners can rotate, based on his aspiration.

- When nominate or vote a new committer, the nominator needs to state which
component the candidate can be the owner.

- If you're already an Apache Kylin committer and would like to be a
volunteer as a component owner, just write to the dev list and we’ll sign
you up.

- If you think the component list need be updated (add, remove, rename,
etc), write to the dev list and we’ll review that.

Below is the component list with old component lead, which assumes to be
updated soon.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/KYLIN?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:components-page

Please comment on this plan; if no objection, we will run it for some time
to see the effect. Thanks for your inputs!

And, thanks to Apache HBase community, from where I learned this.

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋