My opinion is we should pursue a storage solution most suitable for Kylin,
performance should be the number one priority, the next is the cost.
With this new storage solution, the cost to use Kylin and build cubes can be
reduced.

Some well-known columnar storage format like Parquet or ORC, they are wildly
adopted with comprehensive support for big data analytics.
But they can't meet the requirements well for the adhoc/interactive queries.

One of key challenge is the data relevance. Pre-calculations and indexes are
the common approaches to improve the data relevance.
Kylin take the first approach, the cost is higher compare to indexes, we have
to build many cuboids, to reduce the cost, cube design becomes critical.
But this introduce another level of complexity. If we can combine
pre-calculations and indexes together, we might not need to build so many
cuboids.
This gives us the potential to extends Kylin's capability: support 100+
dimensions, support large lookup tables etc.

Today both Parquet and ORC has some kind of data skipping index, the efficiency
of the skipping highly depends on the sorting order of columns.
And before the data skipping take effect, query engines need to read part of
the data files first. Take Spark as an example, the Spark DAG scheduler has to
ask and schedule
much more tasks than necessary, the majority of the tasks just scan the
footer/metadata, prune data blocks by cuboid and other filter conditions, then
quit.
I'm not familiar with ORC, for Parquet's dictionary filtering, DictionaryPage
is empty for high cardinality column, just range filtering(min/max) take place.
Parquet didn't support bloomfilter, I remember ORC has built-in bloomfilter for
every 10K rows. Parquet's PageIndex and IndexPage are not implemented yet.
PageIndex should provide good performance since it can prune pages instead of
the whole row group if it is implemented. IndexPage might be useless, as
DictionaryPage, one column chunk
just has one IndexPage, indexes like bitmap/b-tree can't fit into the size. If
we want to extend, we will have to do something similar to OAP, they seperate
the index files from data files.

Another gap is the Cache(like Hbase Block Cache).
HDFS data node has a form of memory caching, the operating system page cache.
But OS page cache is out of our control.
And there is no global information about the page cache state of each node,
query engine is unable to schedule its tasks for cache-locality.
We have to build cache on top of Parquet and ORC, and we can't use mmap, so
there will be duplicate memory consuming, one copy in OS page cache and another
copy in
our own cache. If we leverage Spark as the runtime, our in-memory cache will
compete the memory usage with Spark's storage memory and execution memory.
We also need to modify Spark DAG scheduler to make it cache-aware and honor the
cache-locality.

Thanks
Ken